Every writer struggles to find the right image for their piece. Medium can help.
As an active writer and friend of many bloggers, I recognize the challenge in finding the right image for an essay.
Here’s a typical workflow on Medium:
- Brainstorm visuals that enhance the piece and align with the content
- Translate those visual ideas into a search query
- Hunt through various image catalogs, filtering for creative commons-licensed images
- Once found, save image locally
- Capture image source and creator
- Return to Medium and upload the image with attribution included
…that’s a lot of steps.
Writers should be investing this time in creating original content.
So how might Medium help?
- Aggregate various image search engines (Google Images, Flickr, Compfight), applying licensing and quality filters
- Recommend images based on the content of the post using natural language processing (NLP)
- Include attribution for the selected image automatically
This could be extended to bring photographers/artists and writers together to make Medium a more collaborative experience.